Fort Bragg Lions Club in Fort Bragg, California
    Back to Index
    Historic BuildingBuilt 1895Fort Bragg, CA

    Fort Bragg Lions Club

    430 E. Redwood Ave. — Now the Fort Bragg Lions Hall, this 1895 building was originally Kalevala Hall, built by the Finnish Temperance Society and later remembered as Redmen Hall.

    Last updated: June 4, 2026

    A former Finnish community hall, later remembered through fraternal groups, union ties, performances, and today's Fort Bragg Lions Club.

    Fort Bragg Lions Club — archival photograph, Fort Bragg, California

    Overview

    Some buildings do not just survive — they keep finding new ways to hold a town together.

    The bright blue building at 430 East Redwood Avenue is the Fort Bragg Lions Hall today, but its story began long before the Lions moved in. Local historical sources identify this site as the old Kalevala Hall, built in 1895 by Fort Bragg's Finnish Temperance Society. That early chapter places the building directly inside one of Fort Bragg's strongest immigrant, labor, and community traditions.

    Location

    The building stands at 430 East Redwood Avenue, east of Fort Bragg's downtown commercial core but still close enough to be part of the town's long civic and social life. Its location fits its purpose. This was not a storefront meant for daily retail traffic. It was a hall — a place people came to intentionally for meetings, meals, performances, organizing, rituals, celebrations, and community service.

    History

    Kalevala Hall was more than a meeting place. It served as a center for Fort Bragg's Finnish community, including the Kalevala Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and hosted dances, music, lectures, plays, celebrations, and mutual-aid gatherings. In a town shaped by lumber, labor, immigration, and organizing, halls like this were essential. They gave people a place to gather, speak, perform, celebrate, and support one another.

    That original purpose never really disappeared. The comments show how the building kept being remembered as a hall across many different chapters. People recalled it as Redmen Hall, a place with upstairs meetings, rituals, meals, and a strong fraternal-club atmosphere. Others remembered the stage area before the kitchen took over that part of the building. Another memory tied the site to the International Woodworkers of America, with an office there during the union years.

    There is one historical wrinkle worth handling carefully. Published references identify a Redmen's Hall at the southwest corner of Main and Redwood in the 1920s, while local memory strongly connects Redmen activity to this East Redwood building as well. That may reflect different eras, different meeting locations, or memories overlapping between lodge halls around town. What is clear is that people remember this building as part of Fort Bragg's fraternal and ritual life, and that memory belongs in the story.

    The performance history adds another layer. The hall was remembered as a place where productions were staged upstairs in the 1990s, when Mendocino Repertory Company used the space. That fits naturally with the building's earlier life. From Finnish plays and dances to later community theater, the same upstairs hall kept serving as a place for shared experience.

    The Building Today

    Today the building serves as the Fort Bragg Lions Hall. The Lions chapter continues the building's long pattern of community use through charitable work, meetings, events, service projects, eyeglass programs, holiday efforts, and local support. In that sense, the building's purpose has remained surprisingly steady for more than a century. The organizations changed, but the work of gathering and helping people continued.

    Why It Matters

    This building matters because it shows how one address can carry more than one century of community life. It began as a Finnish temperance hall, became tied in local memory to fraternal groups, served labor and union-related purposes, held performances, and now continues as the Lions Hall.

    In a town where many buildings changed uses completely, this one may be one of the clearest examples of a place that never really stopped being a hall. It is not just an old building painted blue. It is a rare surviving community space that generations kept reworking for the same basic purpose: bringing people together.

    Community Memories

    Community memories identify the building as Kalevala Hall, Redmen Hall, a place for meetings and rituals upstairs, a former stage space, a union-linked office location, a performance venue, and now the Fort Bragg Lions Hall. People remembered dances, club rituals, meals, productions, charitable work, Lions eyeglass programs, the Toy Run, the escape room, and the building's continued role as a gathering place.

    Timeline

    1895 — Built as Kalevala Hall by Fort Bragg's Finnish Temperance Society.

    Early 1900s — Used by Finnish community organizations including the Kalevala Sisterhood and Brotherhood.

    Mid-20th Century — Remembered locally in connection with fraternal group activity, including Redmen-related memories.

    Union Era — Remembered as connected to the International Woodworkers of America and local labor organizing.

    1990s — Used for performance activity, including Mendocino Repertory Company productions.

    Later Years — Acquired by the Fort Bragg Lions Club and used for service, meetings, and community events.

    Present — Continues as the Fort Bragg Lions Hall at 430 E. Redwood Avenue.

    Sources & Original Research

    This article blends verifiable historical records with personal recollections shared by longtime Fort Bragg residents. Much of this information comes from community memory and is not available in any published source.

    Original research post and discussion: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153269104881177&type=3

    Sources: Original post text provided by Gee Bee; comment thread provided by Gee Bee including contributor memories from Eric Carmichael, Tammy Lowe, Nancy Fereira, Anna Roeth, Philip Zwerling, Rus Jewett, Kelly Hilliard, Tiina Purtonen, Vanette St John, Larry Nelson, Linda Stanton, Frank Hartzell, Patty Reed Barrow, and Marilla Peeler; Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society / "From Finland to Fort Bragg"; Mendocino Voice / Anderson Valley Advertiser reporting on Kalevala Hall at 430 E. Redwood; Fort Bragg Lions Club website; California Digital Newspaper Collection reference to Redmen's Hall at the southwest corner of Main and Redwood.