Lansing House in Fort Bragg, California
    Back to Index
    BuildingBuilt 1855 — Main Street, MendocinoFort Bragg, CA

    Lansing House

    44900 Main Street, Mendocino — An 1855 residence built for Captain David Lansing, later owned by jeweler Oscar M. Stone, with an 1897 water tower behind it.

    Last updated: August 13, 2026

    The side view tells the story even better than the front.

    Lansing House — archival photograph, Fort Bragg, California

    From this angle, the Lansing House reveals just how substantial the property really is. What appears from Main Street to be a handsome Victorian residence unfolds into a much larger structure stretching across the grounds, with the historic water tower rising behind it as one of Mendocino's most recognizable landmarks.

    Overview

    The Lansing House at 44900 Main Street is one of Mendocino village's oldest surviving residences.

    It was built in 1855 for Captain David Lansing, one of the community's early pioneers. Kelley House Museum records say the lumber used for the house was milled in San Francisco and shipped to Mendocino for construction.

    The property later passed through the Lansing family and eventually became the home of another well-known Mendocino resident, watchmaker and jeweler Oscar M. Stone.

    Location

    The Lansing House stands at 44900 Main Street in Mendocino, near the corner of Main and Lansing streets and close to the Mendocino Presbyterian Church, with the historic water tower rising behind the residence.

    History

    David Lansing arrived in Mendocino in 1852, during the village's earliest lumber-mill years.

    He became a substantial landowner. Historic American Buildings Survey information records that Lansing at one time owned a large area east of Lansing Street, north of Main Street, and south of Little Lake Street.

    Three years after arriving, he built the house that still carries his name. Its 1855 construction places the Lansing House among the earliest surviving residential buildings from Mendocino's founding period. Kelley House Museum identifies Lansing as the builder and notes that the construction lumber came by ship from San Francisco.

    Captain Lansing lived in the house until his death in 1877. Afterward, the property went to his daughter Julia Lansing Morrow and her husband, J. J. Morrow. The house therefore remained tied to the Lansing family into the next generation. That changed in 1888 when the property was purchased by Oscar M. Stone.

    Oscar Stone was a Main Street watchmaker and jeweler and became another important figure in the property's history. Kelley House Museum records say Stone purchased the Lansing House in 1888 and lived there for the rest of his life. He also made changes to the property. The most visible of those changes is still standing.

    The Water Tower

    The Lansing House water tower was constructed in 1897 during Oscar Stone's ownership. Today it is almost as recognizable as the house itself. Historic photographs show the tower rising behind the residence and surrounding outbuildings, while later views demonstrate how remarkably intact the relationship between the house and tower has remained. Kelley House Museum has documented the structure in both historic and modern photographs. Mendocino's water towers were practical structures, but over time they became one of the architectural features most closely associated with the village.

    The Lansing tower is a particularly strong example because the house and tower still read together as one historic property.

    A Changing Property

    Old photographs show that the Lansing House has changed over time while retaining its basic nineteenth-century form.

    A 1931 photograph preserved by Kelley House Museum shows the south front and west side of the residence. Comparing that image with later photographs makes it possible to see alterations while still recognizing the same steep roof, porch, window arrangement, and overall mass of the house.

    The side and rear views also reveal something that is easy to miss from Main Street: this is not a small cottage.

    The residence stretches well beyond its front facade, with additions, outbuildings, and the water tower creating a much larger historic complex.

    The Building Today

    The Lansing House and its water tower remain standing at 44900 Main Street.

    The house survives as a remarkably visible link to Mendocino's first years, beginning with Captain David Lansing in 1855 and continuing through the Stone family era and the construction of the water tower in 1897.

    From the front, it is a beautiful old Mendocino house. From the side, you see the bigger story — a sprawling nineteenth-century property, the water tower rising behind it, and nearly two centuries of village history packed into one corner of Main Street.

    Why It Matters

    The Lansing House appears in many historic views of this end of Mendocino.

    Photographs of the Main and Lansing intersection show the white house in the background, while other old views of the village use its water tower almost like a landmark for identifying the surrounding streets and buildings.

    The Mendocino Presbyterian Church stands nearby, and historical photographs of the church and surrounding neighborhood repeatedly capture the Lansing House as part of the background landscape.

    That repeated appearance in old photographs says something about the building's importance. It has been part of the visual fabric of Main Street for roughly 170 years.

    Community Memories

    Properties this old tend to collect more than architectural history.

    Generations of Mendocino residents have known the Lansing House and its tower simply as part of the village landscape — one of those buildings people use to orient themselves without necessarily thinking about how long it has been standing there.

    Its earlier residents, later uses, changes to the house, and stories connected with the large property may still be remembered locally and can add another layer to the documented record.

    Timeline

    1852 — Captain David Lansing arrives in Mendocino during the village's earliest lumber-mill years.

    1855 — The Lansing House is built at 44900 Main Street, using lumber milled in San Francisco and shipped to Mendocino.

    1877 — Captain Lansing dies; the property passes to his daughter Julia Lansing Morrow and her husband, J. J. Morrow.

    1888 — Watchmaker and jeweler Oscar M. Stone purchases the property and lives there for the rest of his life.

    1897 — The Lansing House water tower is constructed during Stone's ownership.

    1931 — A photograph preserved by Kelley House Museum documents the south front and west side of the residence.

    Today — The house and its water tower remain standing on Main Street as one of Mendocino's most recognizable historic properties.

    Sources & Original Research: This history blends the original Buildings and Businesses in Mendocino post with additional historical research. Sources include Kelley House Museum historical articles and photograph collections concerning the Lansing House, Captain David Lansing, Oscar M. Stone, the Lansing House water tower, and historic views of Main Street; Historic American Buildings Survey documentation of the Lansing House and Water Tower at 44900 Main Street; Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey material; and the original post text supplied for the Buildings and Businesses in Mendocino, Ca. with history project.