Mendocino Market & Deli
45051 Ukiah Street, Mendocino — Daisy MacCallum's red guest cottage turned neighborhood deli, opened by Alvin and Jeanette Mendosa.
Last updated: August 15, 2026
Long before this little cottage became a place for sandwiches and picnic lunches, it was part of the MacCallum family story.

Overview
Mendocino Market & Deli sits at 45051 Ukiah Street, across from the Mendocino Post Office, in a small cottage-like building that still looks more residential than commercial. That is because it was originally a residence-related building.
Kelley House Museum research identifies the structure as Daisy MacCallum's red guest cottage, connecting it with the Kelley and MacCallum family properties that helped shape this part of Mendocino.
The market business later brought another important local connection to the property. Alvin and Jeanette Mendosa opened Mendocino Market here, carrying forward a grocery tradition that had already been part of Mendocino for generations.
Location
The building stands at 45051 Ukiah Street in the village of Mendocino, directly across from the Post Office and within easy walking distance of the Mendocino Headlands.
Its steep gable roof, narrow upstairs window, front porch and compact size still give it the appearance of an old village cottage rather than a purpose-built commercial structure. That residential character is part of what makes the building so recognizable.
History
Kelley House Museum research identifies the building as Daisy MacCallum's red guest cottage. Daisy Kelley MacCallum was part of one of Mendocino's prominent early families, and the cottage belonged to the cluster of Kelley and MacCallum properties in this section of the village.
The building eventually found a very different use when it became Mendocino Market.
The market chapter began with Alvin and Jeanette Mendosa. Alvin came from a family already deeply connected with Mendocino's grocery business. His grandfather, Frank Mendosa, converted his earlier saloon and chop house into a grocery and dry-goods store in 1909. Alvin later worked in the family market business before he and Jeanette opened Mendocino Market on Ukiah Street. That gave the new business a direct connection to more than a century of Mendocino food-market history.
After the Mendosas, the market passed to Matthew and Elaine Miksak. Published biographical material says the Miksaks, both professional opera singers, operated the gourmet delicatessen for fourteen years before selling it in 2004.
A later Mendocino dining guide identified Sandy Triplet as an owner.
Another ownership chapter followed with Jeff and Patty, who are identified in later dining-guide material as owners of Mendocino Market and operators of its catering business. A community memory also recalls Jeff as having previously worked as a chef at Brewery Gulch Inn. The available published material confirms Jeff and Patty's connection to Mendocino Market, although their surname remains an open part of the story.
The Building Today
Through all of these ownership changes, the basic character of Mendocino Market has remained remarkably consistent. It has continued as a small neighborhood deli offering sandwiches, prepared foods, wine and take-away meals suited perfectly to a village surrounded by beaches, walking paths and ocean bluffs.
Current Mendocino tourism information continues to describe the market as a local favorite for fresh sandwiches, prepared side dishes, local and imported wines, take-away meals and casual seating.
Why It Matters
What makes this building especially interesting is the way two separate Mendocino stories meet here. One is the story of Daisy MacCallum's old guest cottage and the Kelley-MacCallum family properties. The other is the story of the Mendosa family and a grocery tradition that began in Mendocino in 1909.
A small residential cottage became a neighborhood deli, and more than forty years later the change still feels completely natural.
Community Memories
One community memory recalls Jeff as having previously worked as a chef at Brewery Gulch Inn. Another adds a local connection, recalling that some of the owners had once been students at Fort Bragg High School.
Timeline
1909 — Frank Mendosa converts his saloon and chop house into a grocery and dry-goods store.
Nineteenth century — The building serves as Daisy MacCallum's red guest cottage.
Later twentieth century — Alvin and Jeanette Mendosa open Mendocino Market at 45051 Ukiah Street.
1990 — Matthew and Elaine Miksak begin fourteen years operating the gourmet delicatessen.
2004 — The Miksaks sell the business.
Later years — Sandy Triplet, then Jeff and Patty, are identified as owners.
Sources & Original Research: This article blends verifiable published history with the original Buildings and Businesses in Mendocino post and community memories. Sources include Kelley House Museum historical research, including National Trivia Day by Karen McGrath and Carol Dominy; the Alvin Mendosa obituary published by The Mendocino Beacon in June 2022; Mendocino County Tourism Commission information for Mendocino Market; Evergreen Barn Dog Training biographical information on Elaine Miksak; and editions of the Mendocino Dining & Lodging Guidebook published by northofSF.com documenting Matthew and Elaine Miksak, Sandy Triplet, and the later Jeff and Patty ownership chapter. Original post text and photograph provided by Gee Bee; comment thread provided by Gee Bee with community memories from India Gingell and Ramona Pereira.