Partners Gallery — The Mendocino Beacon Building
45062 Ukiah Street, Mendocino — The 1872 Beacon Building, Mendocino's first bank and longtime newspaper home, now an artist-run gallery.
Last updated: August 20, 2026
The painted "1872" high in the gable is not decoration here - it marks the beginning of one of Mendocino's best business stories, involving banks, newspapers, a justice court, antiques, galleries and even an old brick bank vault that is still inside.
Overview
Today the historic Beacon Building at 45062 Ukiah Street is home to Partners Gallery, an artist-run gallery operated by local artists. Partners Gallery says its members manage the gallery themselves, exhibit their own work and occasionally feature other artists. Even the old bank vault has found a new job: it is now used to display work by local jewelers.
Partners Gallery moved into the building in 2021, but the gallery itself is much older. It began in 1999 at the Glendeven Inn in Little River, moved to Franklin Street in Fort Bragg in 2008, operated online during the COVID shutdown, and signed the lease for the Beacon Building on May 1, 2021.
The building's own story reaches back another 129 years.
Location
The Beacon Building stands at 45062 Ukiah Street near Kasten Street in the heart of Mendocino's historic commercial district.
Kelley House Museum photographs show this stretch of Ukiah Street changing dramatically over the generations while the Beacon Building survived. A circa-1930 photograph shows an unpaved Ukiah Street nearby, while a 2023 view shows essentially the same historic neighborhood adapted to modern village businesses.
History
The building was constructed around 1872, shortly after the disastrous October 1870 fire that destroyed much of the western portion of Mendocino's commercial district.
According to family recollections preserved by the Kelley House Museum, William Heeser began construction after losing his Main Street general store in the fire. Ox teams hauled lumber from the Little River Mill to Mendocino to build the main central portion of the new structure.
Its original purpose was banking.
The building housed the Bank of Mendocino, making this the location of Mendocino's first bank. The Bank of Mendocino operated as a mutual savings bank, taking deposits and making loans secured by real estate. Another institution, the Mendocino Discount Bank, incorporated in 1876 and was closely associated with it. Familiar early Mendocino names including Heeser, Denslow and Ford were involved with the banks.
And that explains one of the building's most interesting surviving features.
A substantial bank safe was installed in 1881. Kelley House research says the safe was enclosed in bricks made from local clay in William Heeser's own kiln to provide additional fire protection. The painted metal vault door remains in the building today.
Then came the business that would give the building its lasting name.
In 1877, William Heeser began publishing the Mendocino Beacon, and the building was enlarged to accommodate the newspaper operation.
The Beacon had been founded on October 6, 1877, by William Heeser and W. H. Meacham. The newspaper became one of Mendocino's enduring institutions, and the Heeser family remained associated with its publication for generations.
The Beacon Building was more than a newspaper office.
The paper also operated a job-printing department here, producing invoices, handbills, programs and other printed material for the community. Before radio, television, websites or Facebook, this building was one of the places where Mendocino's information literally went onto paper.
For many years it also doubled as something most people walking past today would probably never guess - a courthouse.
Mendocino did not have a dedicated local courthouse, so the Big River Justice Court met wherever its justices of the peace could find suitable quarters. William Heeser, his brother August Heeser and Beacon employee William Vaughn all served as justices of the peace, and court business was conducted inside the Beacon Building.
Those local justices handled marriages, minor disputes and other community matters, acted as coroners when required, and worked with local constables to maintain order. More serious criminal cases went to the Superior Court in Ukiah.
The banking operations eventually disappeared after financial difficulties in the late 1890s, but the newspaper remained.
The Mendocino Beacon continued maintaining an office in this building until 2000, when its reporters and clerical staff were moved to the Fort Bragg offices of the Advocate-News. That means the Beacon maintained a presence here for roughly 123 years.
The Building Today
The building had already begun another transformation before the newspaper completely left.
Bonney and Biage Quattrocchi purchased the property in 1976 and carried out substantial renovations. One particularly memorable touch was covering the walls of the downstairs reception room with selected back issues of the Mendocino Beacon.
The large central space became Mendocino Antiques. Lee and Don Burleson opened Gallery Mendocino in the rear portion, while the Beacon continued renting space on the west side of the building. Former upstairs newspaper darkrooms were converted into professional offices.
That change established a pattern that has lasted for decades.
Art galleries, antique stores and gift shops followed, including Panache Gallery, Seya's Treasures and Calico Whale Gallery. By 2021, Partners Gallery became the latest gallery to continue that tradition.
Partners Gallery brought its own history with it. The artist-run organization was founded in May 1999 by a group of artists seeking a cooperative place to show contemporary work. After nine years at Glendeven Inn, it moved to Fort Bragg in 2008. When the pandemic closed the physical gallery in 2020, the artists continued exhibiting online. Then they spotted a "for lease" sign in the Beacon Building and returned to a physical gallery here in Mendocino in 2021.
As of August 2026, Partners Gallery is still operating at 45062 Ukiah Street, with new exhibits and Second Saturday events continuing in the historic building.
Why It Matters
It is hard to imagine a better example of Mendocino reuse.
A building constructed after the 1870 fire became the town's first bank. Then it became the longtime home of a newspaper and printing operation. It served as an informal courthouse. Later came antiques, gifts, professional offices and galleries.
And the big old bank vault that once protected Mendocino residents' money? Now it holds jewelry.
That may be about as Mendocino as a building can get.
Timeline
October 1870 - Fire destroys much of the western portion of Mendocino's commercial district.
circa 1872 - William Heeser builds the structure; it houses the Bank of Mendocino.
1876 - The Mendocino Discount Bank incorporates.
1877 - The Mendocino Beacon is founded on October 6; the building is enlarged for the newspaper.
1881 - A bank safe is installed, enclosed in locally made brick.
Late 1890s - Banking operations end after financial difficulties.
1976 - Bonney and Biage Quattrocchi purchase and renovate the building; Mendocino Antiques and Gallery Mendocino open.
2000 - The Mendocino Beacon office moves to Fort Bragg after roughly 123 years.
May 1, 2021 - Partners Gallery signs the lease and moves in.
2026 - Partners Gallery continues operating in the Beacon Building.
Sources & Original Research: Kelley House Museum - "Partners Gallery at the Beacon Building," detailed history of the building, William Heeser, Bank of Mendocino, Mendocino Discount Bank, bank vault, Beacon printing operation, Big River Justice Court, Quattrocchi ownership and later galleries; Kelley House Museum - "THEN and NOW Photos: Ukiah Street, Looking East," confirming the circa-1872 construction, 1877 enlargement, newspaper use through 2000 and later commercial uses; Partners Gallery - official gallery history including its 1999 founding, Little River and Fort Bragg locations, 2020-2021 online period and 2021 move into the Beacon Building; Partners Gallery - current gallery information and description of the historic bank vault now used to display jewelry by local artists; historical newspaper references and published accounts concerning the Mendocino Beacon and its 1877 founding; original post text, photograph and research compilation provided by Gee Bee.