Rainsong Shoes
10483 Lansing Street, Mendocino — A village shoe and clothing shop founded in 1978, on a property with buildings dating to 1895.
Last updated: August 20, 2026
Some Mendocino storefronts are remembered less for being flashy and more for fitting the village so naturally that they seem like they were always there.

Overview
Rainsong Shoes was one of Mendocino's longtime independent shops, remembered for distinctive footwear, quality brands and the kind of personal service that turns a shoe store into a place people make a point of visiting.
The shop operated at 10483 Lansing Street, part of a historic commercial property containing several individual storefronts and buildings. Rainsong is now closed, but its name remained on the building long enough that Mendocino County still referred to the structure as the "Rainsong Shoe Store" in historic-review documents in 2026.
Rainsong had much deeper roots than this particular storefront. Business listings trace the company to 1978, when it began in Mendocino as an art and clothing store before expanding into footwear. Over the years the business also developed locations outside Mendocino.
Longtime owner Ronnie Kemper became closely identified with the shop. Kelley House Museum, in a 2026 feature recognizing Mendocino's hard-working women, described Kemper as the now-retired owner of Rainsong Shoes and Clothing and noted that she had been in business in Mendocino for more than 40 years.
Location
Rainsong Shoes was located at 10483 Lansing Street in the commercial center of Mendocino village.
The address can be confusing historically because 10483 Lansing Street covers a larger property with several separate buildings and storefronts. Businesses associated with the property have included GoodLife Cafe & Bakery, Mendocino Gems, Fancy That, Rainsong Shoes and others.
That means the history of Rainsong's particular storefront should not automatically be treated as the history of every business sharing the 10483 Lansing Street address.
History
The larger property reaches back well over a century.
The updated 2026 Mendocino historic-structures inventory identifies several historic buildings on parcel 119-150-07 at 10483 Lansing Street.
One is the Old Bakery Building, built by early Mendocino businessman J. D. Johnson and documented as early as 1895. Another is the Johnson Building, documented in 1902. A later Justice Court Building was constructed in 1961 for the Mendosa Brothers and leased to Mendocino County for use as the Big River Justice Court.
The Old Bakery Building is particularly easy to recognize in Mendocino's photographic record. Kelley House Museum has a photograph looking south along Lansing Street around 1930 in which a large BAKERY sign can be seen on the building at today's 10483 Lansing Street. Kelley House identifies it at that time as the Mendocino or Crystal Bakery.
Rainsong represents a much later chapter in this busy little commercial complex.
Business information describes Rainsong as beginning in 1978 as an art and clothing shop in Mendocino Village. It eventually became best known for shoes, carrying men's and women's fashion and comfort footwear and developing a following for unusual and European brands.
The store's longtime association with Ronnie Kemper is also part of Mendocino's more recent business history. More than four decades in business put Rainsong among that group of village shops remembered by both residents and repeat visitors rather than simply passing tourists.
By the time visitor guides were describing the Lansing Street shop, Rainsong was promoting brands including Frye, Bed Stu, Corso Como and Josef Seibel and was being presented as one of Mendocino's destination shopping stops.
The Building Today
The closing of Rainsong became especially visible in early 2026.
At its March 2, 2026 meeting, the Mendocino Historical Review Board considered an application to remove the old Rainsong Shoes signage and replace it with signs for GoodLife Mercantile - Grocery - Gifts.
The county staff report specifically described the 10483 Lansing Street site as containing historic resources including the Old Bakery Building, Real Estate Office and Rainsong Shoe Store. The replacement signs were proposed in the same size and location as the Rainsong signs.
That administrative detail provides a surprisingly useful historical marker: by 2026 the Rainsong chapter had ended and another Mendocino business was preparing to take over the space.
Community Memories
The replies to the original post show how strongly people still associate Rainsong with shopping in Mendocino.
One person remembered knowing the owner personally and said she was still wearing shoes purchased there.
Another remembered making Rainsong a regular stop when visiting Mendocino and said she and her friends bought some great shoes there, adding that she was sad to see the shop gone.
Those are small memories, but they explain something business directories cannot. Rainsong lasted long enough that shoes purchased there are still being worn after the storefront itself has disappeared.
Why It Matters
The property will continue changing, as Mendocino storefronts always have. Rainsong Shoes now joins the much longer succession of businesses at 10483 Lansing Street - another recognizable Mendocino name preserved in photographs, records and the memories of the people who walked through its door.
Timeline
1895 - The Old Bakery Building, built by J. D. Johnson, is documented on the property.
1902 - The Johnson Building is documented.
circa 1930 - A Kelley House photograph shows a large BAKERY sign on the building.
1961 - The Justice Court Building is constructed for the Mendosa Brothers and leased to the county.
1978 - Rainsong begins as an art and clothing store in Mendocino Village.
Later decades - The shop becomes best known for footwear under owner Ronnie Kemper.
March 2, 2026 - The Mendocino Historical Review Board reviews replacing Rainsong signage with GoodLife Mercantile signs.
Sources & Original Research: Mendocino County, Updated Inventory of Historic Structures, Mendocino Historic Preservation District, March 1, 2026 - identifies the Old Bakery Building documented 1895, the Johnson Building documented 1902 and the Justice Court Building documented 1961; Mendocino County Historical Review Board agenda and staff report, March 2, 2026 - application to replace the Rainsong Shoes signs with GoodLife Mercantile signage; Kelley House Museum, "Lansing Street, c. 1930" - historic photograph identifying the bakery as the Mendocino or Crystal Bakery; Kelley House Museum, "Mendocino's Hard-Working Women" - identifies Ronnie Kemper as the retired owner with more than 40 years in business; Meet Mendocino, Rainsong Shoes - description of the shop, merchandise and brands; historical business-directory information tracing the business to 1978; original Buildings and Businesses in Mendocino post and community memories supplied by India Gingell and Karen Hamilton; original post text, photograph and research compilation provided by Gee Bee.