The Depot / Olinsky Building
401 N. Main St. — Built in 1920 by Julius Olinsky as Fort Bragg's second reinforced concrete building, now the Depot Mall & Museum and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Last updated: June 8, 2026
Overview

This is one of those downtown Fort Bragg buildings that has done exactly what a good commercial building is supposed to do — stay useful long enough that people remember it by different names, different businesses, and different eras.
Most people now know 401 North Main Street as The Depot Mall & Museum, but the larger building is the Olinsky Building, and that name matters. Built in 1920 by Julius Olinsky at the corner of Main and Laurel, the building became one of Fort Bragg's most important early downtown commercial structures.
Location
The building stands at 401 North Main Street, on the corner of Main and Laurel. That location placed it directly in the path of Fort Bragg's downtown traffic, business activity, transportation routes, and public life.
The corner location helped make the building useful from the beginning. It was visible, accessible, and large enough to hold several kinds of activity as the town changed around it.
History
The Olinsky Building was constructed in 1920 by Julius Olinsky. Historic documentation identifies it as Fort Bragg's second reinforced poured-concrete building, an important detail because it shows the shift from earlier wood-frame commercial construction toward more durable modern materials.
The building first housed an Army surplus store, then quickly became tied to transportation. It served as a center for Coast Line Stages, trucking, and related businesses during the early days of land transportation on the Mendocino Coast. That chapter makes the building more than a commercial block. It was part of how people, freight, supplies, and communication moved through the region.
The building was expanded in 1925, reinforcing its role as a major downtown business and transportation center. Historic sources describe it as the center of transportation and related businesses during an important period in the coast's development.
The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, recognizing its architectural and historical importance.
The Building Today
Today, the building is known as The Depot Mall & Museum. Its current use keeps the structure active while also honoring its transportation and commercial past.
Inside, the building's museum role helps preserve pieces of Fort Bragg's history, while the mall use continues the old commercial pattern of multiple businesses and public activity under one roof.
Why It Matters
The Depot / Olinsky Building matters because it connects several major Fort Bragg stories in one place.
It belongs to the town's early commercial growth, the transition to reinforced concrete construction, the rise of land transportation, and the continuing reuse of downtown buildings. It began as a practical working structure, not a decorative showpiece, and that practicality is part of its strength.
The formal history gives the building its foundation: Julius Olinsky, 1920 construction, reinforced concrete, Coast Line Stages, trucking, transportation, expansion, and National Register status. The community memories add the lived-in layer: Chernoff's, Anchor Ford, Daly's, shopping, errands, and the many businesses people remember passing through the building over time.
That is what makes the building so valuable. It is not frozen in one era. It carries several.
Community Memories
Community memories connect the building to Chernoff's, Anchor Ford, Daly's, and later retail uses inside the Depot Mall. Those memories sit alongside the official history of the Olinsky Building as an early transportation and commercial center, showing how one downtown structure can hold both documented significance and everyday personal memory.
Timeline
1920 — Julius Olinsky builds the Olinsky Building at Main and Laurel.
1920 — Building opens first as an Army surplus store.
Early 1920s — Building becomes tied to Coast Line Stages, trucking, and transportation-related businesses.
1925 — Building is expanded.
Later 20th Century — Building remembered through businesses including Chernoff's, Anchor Ford, and Daly's.
National Register Era — Olinsky Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Present — Building continues as The Depot Mall & Museum at 401 North Main Street.
Sources & Original Research
This article blends verifiable historical records with personal recollections shared by longtime Fort Bragg residents. Much of this information comes from community memory and is not available in any published source.
Original research post and discussion: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153269104881177&type=3
Sources: Original post text provided by Gee Bee; comment thread including contributor memories from Elaine Bauer, Don Oliver, Caoimhín Kevin Bunker, David Potter, Barbara Kutzer Gleed, and Sandra Liljeberg; National Register of Historic Places nomination; National Park Service NRIS entry; California Office of Historic Preservation; NoeHill.